Below is a list of steps to take when preparing to leave an abuser:
- Practice getting out safely, deciding which door, window, elevator or fire escape to use.
- Prepare an escape bag (or box or suitcase) that includes essential items and paperwork (IDs, checkbook ATM card, credit cards, Social Security cards for you and your children, Birth Certificates for you and your children, sentimental items and a few of your children’s favorite things).
- Teach your children the safest place to go if they have to leave without you.
If the situation is violent, leave immediately and call 911.
- Know where you are going and tell as many people as possible of your plan.
- By having your plan in place, you can take control of your safety and prepare to end the abuse.