Victim Advocates provide legal advocacy for participants in the following areas:
- Informing victims of domestic and sexual violence of their rights in the criminal justice system
- Filling out applications for Injunctions for Protection
- Filing the applications
- Accompanying participants to court to obtain permanent injunctions
- Aiding participants in filling out Victim Compensation paperwork for financial restitution
- Acting as liaisons between State Attorneys’ offices, Legal Services, and/or private attorneys
- Accompanying participants to hearings for civil/criminal matters connected to domestic and sexual violence incidents.
- Provides counseling, support, transportation, referrals and collaboration with legal services to facilitate this process.