What we do:
Shelter House is the state certified domestic and sexual violence center serving Okaloosa and Walton
counties. Shelter House supports victims of domestic and sexual violence by providing shelter, intervention
and primary prevention programs to the community through education, awareness and advocating for social
Shelter House is looking for a full-time Youth & Prevention Advocate.
The Youth Advocate is dedicated to providing quality services to children, teens and their non-offending parent.
Youth & Prevention Advocates may:
• Conduct screenings and intakes for all new child/youth participants at Shelter House.
• Deliver individual support for child of participants in scheduled and/or crisis situations.
• Facilitate support and play groups for children who have witnessed intimate partner violence.
• Facilitate interactions between child and non-offending parent thought crisis counseling.
• Works with non-offending parent to foster positive parenting techniques.
• Provide education concerning safety, healthy relationships and communication, problem solving
and other areas as needs are identified.
• Plans youth activities to enhance safety skills and emotional development.
Where and when you’ll work:
Shelter House’s staff, operations, hours, and location vary by function, type of work, and work style. The Youth
& Prevention Advocate will primarily work from our Fort Walton Beach location, but working extensively in the
emergency shelter. Some travel required within the service area.
This is a full-time position. You can expect to work regularly Sunday-Thursday from 12:00pm – 8:00pm.*
• A passion for working with youth of all ages.
• Creativity and a “can do” attitude.
• Highly independent and self-motivated.
• Adaptable to change with the ability to multi-task.
• Flexible schedule.
• Able to build and sustain positive relationships with community partners.
• Two years working with youth.
What we offer:
• The opportunity to make meaningful change and improve the lives of other through mission-driven
work, at all levels of the organization.
• The most compassionate, supportive and fun-loving colleagues around!
• An investment in your well-being, and professional development through generous time off policies,
dedication to proactively managing vicarious trauma, and extensive subject matter training.
Starting salary range and benefits:
$11-$13 per hour, depending on experience and skills. Total compensation package includes a generous benefits package, including health, dental, vision, paid time off and eleven (11) paid holidays.
Hiring process and timeline:
Please submit the following to email@example.com
We are accepting initial applications through May 31, 2019, but the opportunity will remain open until we find the best possible fit. Shelter House is a non-profit agency serving domestic and sexual violence victims and survivors in Okaloosa and Walton counties. The supportive, non-judgmental environment at Shelter House works to make every survivor feel safe, empowered and confident. Domestic and sexual violence cross all age, racial, ethnic, nation-orientation, sexual, gender preference, spiritual and socioeconomic boundaries. Shelter House is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. *Office location and hours for up to the first 90 days may be at Shelter House’s Main Office in Fort Walton Beach, Monday-Friday 8am-5pm, for training and supervision purposes.
What we do: